Stained Glass Repair And Restoration
Stained Glass Care For Your Houston Home
At Houston Stained Glass we often talk to people who own a home in the Houston area who really want to clean their stained glass themselves but are hesitant because of the obvious expense and perceived fragility of the glass. They often ask us if it is a good idea to do so and how to do it. Our answer to this is, it is fine to clean the stained glass on your Houston home yourself, doing so is fairly simple and just takes a little bit of common sense.
Steps To Cleaning Your Houston Home’s Stained Glass
- Start by running a soft dry cloth across the glass. Stained glass is actually very durable but use care as older windows may have loose panels. If you come across a broken, cracked or loose pane of glass be sure to call Houston Custom Stained Glass to repair the piece and finish the cleaning.
- Once the bulk of the dust and dirt has been removed with a dry cloth, switch to soap and water. Make sure to use an ammonia-free, vinegar-free, non-abrasive, pH-neutral cleaner
- Start from the top of the window and work your way down, cleaning each pane within the leaded frames individually. Feel free to scrub but do not press on the glass too hard, lest it cracks.
- After you finish each panel, go back with a cotton swab to clean the by the leaded perimeter using a circular “scoop and lift” method to get the grime by the lead.
- Dry the section you cleaned with a soft, lint-free cloth and move on to the next section
*Don’t forget to put a towel down on the ledge of your window to keep the water from ruining your wood frame.
**Also Be aware that leaded glass windows contain lead, which can be dangerous to you and especially to children when it is ingested or becomes airborne. As such we recommend wearing gloves and using proper disposal techniques for any cloth, swab, water or container used in the process.
Houston’s Stained Glass Experts
This method should do the trick to get your window clean. However, there are some windows that may not come clean for a variety of reason, the primary one being age. It’s true–we have come across windows that probably have not been washed in 80 years! It is a good idea to have us at Houston Stained Glass do a full wash and restoration if the window is incredibly dirty, very, very old or just refusing to come clean for one reason or another. For more information on stained glass and to schedule a cleaning, contact us today!